Highway to the Comfort Zone: The Dangers of Never Challenging Yourself

There are many dangerous and evil things lurking in the depths of our world today.

We have terrorism and misogyny. Car crashes and tragedies. Dictators and nuclear weapons. Rejection and failure.

There are literally countless things that you could be terrified of on a daily basis (hope I’m not triggering your anxiety), but the greatest danger that affects far too many of us complex human beings is living in the comfort zone.

dun dun dun….

The comfort zone is that area you live in, in which you feel comfortable and safe, so much so that you aren’t interested in making life changes. You are content.

The comfort zone is essentially the definition of stagnant.

Stagnant: characterized by lack of development, advancement, or progressive movement

I personally know this zone all too well. I LOVE my comfort zone. I relish it, embrace it, and then miss it when it’s gone.

Highway to the comfort zone!

I’m not kidding when I tell you that when I take the exit off of the comfort zone highway I freak out. I cry and cry and cry some more. I physically am not capable of eating. My body reacts how I think it would if I was about to be attacked by a grizzly bear. Fight or flight 24/7. I panic and truly believe that my world is ending. For some reason I am incapable of adapting to new experiences, so trust me when I tell you that I GET IT.

98% of my being would live a blissful existence as a creature of habit for the rest of my life, but that 2% is far too aware of all of the unbelievable possibilities that this world has to offer.

That 2% forces me to take chances (sometimes), even though during these times I feel as though at any second I could just pass out from overwhelm.

As I said before there are so many things to fear but there are also SO many things to enjoy and experience! My stupid human brain allows me to understand that I am missing out on amazing things if I sit on the couch for the rest of my life (gosh darn you brain).

Yes, I would love to watch TV with my mom FOREVER, but a greater part of me wants to see all that this world has to offer!

I know there are far away countries with beautiful cultures. Mountains waiting to be skied. Concerts ready to be screamed at. New people to meet, new places to see, new things to do!

How can we possibly take all of these gifts for granted by locking ourselves away just because we are afraid?

Is that even living?

Fear is real. I know it because I feel it alll the time.

To my very core I fear meeting new people, going to new places, and trying new things. I think about everything that could possibly go wrong. What if they don’t like me? What if I look stupid? What if I fail?

These are all valid fears, but what I fear even more is never living my life to the fullest.

I am more afraid of turning 80 years old and realizing that I never took chances because that meant I might feel uncomfortable.

This my friends is where you have to change your perspective.

Your comfort zone is a warm, safe, and loving place, but it can also be dangerous. You don’t want to look back on your life with regret because then it will be too late. You need to embrace the scary opportunities you are faced with and yeah, I’m not going to lie to you, you might fail. You might cry for days and feel like you are going to die, but I promise that you will eventually adapt.

The beauty of this kind of anxiety is that those of us that are fortunate enough to feel these fears are clearly blessed with opportunities that others can only dream of.

I am terrified to drive across the country, leave my family behind, and start a new life working at a ski resort. But I am fortunate enough to have a car, the money to pay for food, gas, and hotels, and a steady job when I arrive.

These fears are a blessing. Don’t you dare waste them! Go challenge yourself.

Love what you just read? Subscribe below to never miss an update.

Also, use the share buttons below to spread the word to your friends and loved ones!



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *